Thursday 27 December 2007

First Real Post

So, I just wrote a whole long entry and it got erased. Here goes again.

Okay, the question I was asking about I'm still not sure is resolved. You talk about an action being transferred to God or "you'll drop it if you have indications that doing something else would serve him better." But what if the job or act doesn't fit that? What if I'm washing the floors of the student center b/c it's the only job I have and the only job I can get. What if the issue of serving him somewhere better doesn't come up? How am I serving God then if I'm not able to transfer my service in a real way to him. I can say that I'm doing something to the glory of God, but is that statement the glory or can every stroke of the mop somehow be to God's glory? What if the "recompense" for cleaning the floor IS what matters because it puts food on the table . . . can God get the glory when I'm getting the gain?

I will grant the idea in the verse (forgive me, I've misplaced my concordance. . . it's around here somewhere. . .probably next to my laziness) that says "Whatever you do, do it as for the Lord." I can see myself cleaning the floors of the sc even better because I want to do everything as good as I can b/c that's what God wants. God wants me to do my best b/c it makes me a better person, makes me more like him, so when I do my best, it gives him glory.

Did I answer my own question, or is there more to it?

Moving on . . . Okay, so I see two basic responses to love: obedience and creativity. Woman loves man, so she obeys him as head. Man loves God, so he gets baptized, b/c it's commanded (possible tangent). Jesus loves the Father, so he goes to the cross. Obedience. Woman loves man, so she does the greatest physical act of creation and has a child. Man loves God, people, and the world, so he creates art. God has so much love bounding within him that he creates the world.
I definitely see how the cleaning the sc floor is equal to writing poety or painting on canvas when viewed from this context. Although, I think creativity is a bit more fun. :)

To your question . . . if you'll look at the next paragraph from where you got that quote, you'll see I wasn't excluding the perseptive of the heart from the other parts but was just trying to focus in on it vs a more practical viewpoint.

Well, I recall my original draft being more eloquent, but alas, this will do. If you'd like to pursue a topic of how to integrate the communal aspect of communion back into our faith, I'd be up for that. Or if you find some tangents, we can go there. There's nothing like a fresh tangent with breakfast (Nathan clearly needs sleeP). Time to go edit joanna's posts to make me look smarter ;)

(I want to put some latin quote about striving for truth here to make up for that tacky last comment) Ad veritato!

2 comments:

emily said...

For the record, you have at least one gadfly.

ubyifbw

dragon134 said...

in response to the "creativity as an act of love" tangent, i think it's interesting that women seem to be given a significant opportunity to practice surrender and obedience on an earthly level, while men are given a significant opportunity to practice sacrifice on an earthly level. i expect those are virtues we will be expected to carry with us into the next world - isn't it funny how God made surrender and sacrifice into a life-duality?