Thursday 27 December 2007

Here's the draft I lost, similar but perhaps more witty

Well, I guess I get to baptise our dialogue from the sinful email to the purified blog. Or maybe it's more like a proselytization from the catholic email world to the church of christ blog. . .okay, that's pushing it.

Okay, I still haven't gotten this "how you do X for God" issue worked out. You said that it's about transferring the action to God, that " you'll drop it if you have indications that doing something else would serve him better." How does that play out in a non-God-related context. What if I'm cleaning the floor of the student center, and it's never an issue whether doing that job will be my best place of service to him. What if, for example, it's my only choice to work. Can I still "transfer" the energies I have when I'm working to him -- or are some things simply secular? And how can the pay not matter as much when that's the primary reason I have the job? Can we really Christianize every action?

I will grant the idea in the verse "Do everything as if doing it for the Lord" (I've left my concordance somewhere. . .probably beside my laziness). So, I'm cleaning the sc floor, and I do a markedly good job, not because there are monetary incentives but b/c God wants me to do my best and b/c it will make me a better Christian to do everything as well as I can.

Did I answer my own question, or is there more to it?

Moving on . . .So I see two main responses of love, and perhaps I was wrong to rank them earlier. First, obedience. We love God, so we do what he says. We don't sin; we baptize b/c it's commanded (tangent possiblity here). A wife obeys her husband b/c she loves him (sorry about the volitle issues . . .). Jesus obeyed God by going to the cross. Second, creative outflowing. God made the world as a result of his own abounding love. A wife births a child as a creative work of her love for her husband. Artists paint and write in response to a love they have for God and people. In this sense, I see cleaning the floor of the sc on equal footing with writing a poem.

To respond to your question. . . I was also considering a practical service perspective. Look at the paragraph after the one about the "perspective of the heart" and you'll see I was just hitting two viewpoint in succession.

Are you up for talking about the integration of the communal aspect of communion back into the practice of our faith? Feel free to start us off on that or go on another tangent if you find one. I've rambled enough for one night. Watch out for hiding non sequiturs. :)

No comments: